Saturday, January 19, 2008

SOCKS!!!

What do you buy your grandparents for xmas? They're very difficult to shop for. I decided to give them an IOU for something everyone needs!
Socks!
I was really overwhelmed when started looking at sock yarn- so many colourways and fibres to choose from! I had to call Grandma and ask her what colours she and Grandpa liked. She said blues and that she liked pastels. Then the she was like: "You'll make them the same right?" She's not a knitter, bless her heart. :) I picked out a pattern for each of them from my new book "Favorite socks".
Here's what I have for Grandma's pair so far (Regia Silk) :




And Grandpa's,

This one is particularly nice because it's made with Patons classic merino!

I'd probably be finished but I'm waiting on double pointed needles from knitpicks. Speaking of knitpicks, I got my first of three orders this week!!! YAAAY :) I'm now a yarn-oholic..... *jumps up and down excitedly* This batch will be turned into various moebius projects.... tba ;)


One last exciting thing: I found this amazing site called Ravelry. It's a knitter's dream!! It's a knit/crochet community and it's a billion times better than facebook! A billion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a LOT of yarn!!!! Have fun! Plus maybe you could copy that sock pattern you are making for your Grandpa? I think my Dad would love them!

Maria

Anonymous said...

Hi, Allison--just noted from your YarnHarlot comment that you're in Winnipeg too...I don't know what part of town you're in, but have you discovered Wolseley Wardrobe's yarn section??? An established second-hand store, it was bought by the new owner a few years ago and she's expanded to reflect her own addictions/loves--smaller than Ram, but much friendlier and with a different selection. Including some sock yarns that I have not seen elsewhere...very fun!

Christine (also from the 'Peg)