Friday, October 9, 2009

Let it snow... let it snow...

Well it appears winter has decided to overtake fall this year. (We had a very warm summer september and now it's snowing.)


Luckily, a box of alpaca yarn from Willowind Alpacas (bless their woolly hearts!) arrived earlier this week. I'm knitting them some hats and I decided to try out my mitten recipe with alpaca instead of wool.


I've heard mixed reviews about alpaca's ability to felt, so I swatched:

It felts beautifully. So soft and dense!
(the yarn is close to sport weight so I'm doubling it. Aren't the natural colours lovely?)


And then I cast on!

I love knitting mittens, and the weather really makes me want to. (Did I mention the snow?!) And these mitts are going to be WARM baby! I tested out my alpaca hat in the blustery weather and it is toasty! (It even does a better job at cutting the wind than some of the other hats I've knit from wool!)

While I'm talking about mittens, last year I knit some mittens for the Mitten Tree at my church (for inner city kids). This year I'm asking around to see if other knitters want to knit some mittens for kids too. I even have a pattern that I put together so if you are in the winnipeg area and would like to knit some mittens, post in the comments or email me: alleyDOTdanielsenATgmailDOTcom and I'll send you the pdf.

Now I think I need a cuppa tea...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey can you send me your mitten pattern? I know I already have it on paper but it would be great to have a version on my computer as I have had a friend ask for it.

Maria
PS I finally found that wool from Seine River Shepards that I was going to give you last time!