Monday, July 11, 2011

Expect the unexpected...

...when using natural dyes.

I've been experimenting again with the dye pot. I did another batch of black beans, and I got a much deeper blue this time! I soaked the beans at room temperature this time instead of in the fridge. Much better.


Then I ventured out in the rural area south of Winnipeg and found some St. John's Wort (with the help of a good friend, thanks Laura!) I used them fresh, and I've heard you're supposed to be able to get green, maroon and yellow from one dye bath!



So I simmered the flowers, and mordanted my yarn in alum.

And then I put my skein into the red liquid.


And I simmered that, while enjoying my balconey garden. :)

The skein did not turn green. But it also didn't quite turn maroon either.

In artificial light it looks like this:


But in sunlight, it's got a browner hue (even more brown than the photo suggests).


Colour changing yarn? Wow! But not really colours I enjoy... peachy brown. Lovely. Oh well, back to the drawing board I guess. What should I make out of it?

In other news, I'm knitting alpaca mittens in the middle of July. Yes. I know. They are for my cousin, whom I'm visiting over the September long weekend. I'm using my handspun baby alpaca, 3 ply chunky. One mitten is almost finished. Here's a teaser. I don't want to ruin the surprise. ;)


Also I got two more Jenkins spindles. One heavy hickory standard (1.5oz):


and the other a boxwood Aegean, which might just be my new favorite.

Both fibres are from Sheeples. The top one will be a sweater some day.

Ok back to thesis writing. Will post again when the golden rod is flowering! (I'm going to dye with that too!)

1 comment:

uniquegeek said...

Love the engraving on that last spindle!