Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The right tools

So when I first read about Signature knitting needles on the Yarn Harlot's blog, I thought to myself: "Who would spend that kind of money on knitting needles??" Those needles are almost 10 times the cost of a regular pair. I got a set of 9 pairs of interchangeable circulars for about $75 and one pair of Signatures costs 3/4 of that.

That was before I tried them.

A woman in my spinning group had 2 pairs of circulars and a set of dpns. I tried the dpns and I tell you, I didn't want to give them back. They had stiletto tips for Pete's sake!

I'm a different sort of crafter than I was when I read that post by the Harlot. I realized that I was willing to spend $50 multiple times over for well-balanced, well-crafted spindles, to maximize enjoyment of spinning. Why not spend money for a good pair of knitting needles? I also know what kind of knitting enjoy and I figured that stiletto tipped needles would be very useful for knitting lace. Lace knitting something I've been enjoying more and more.

Well, they came today...

4mm, Stilettos. mmmmmmm...

I think I might be in a new knitting needle bracket (a la Corner Gas).

I might actually finish my Gnarled Oakwoods shawl now! (yes that's right. I start it in 2008.)
(Also: bunny nuggets!!!)

No comments: